Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Pirates never Surrender

Time marches silently on and so does the project. During this week 
Scott has finished his part of the master cabin, and given me the 
green light to add the trim and furnishings. A couple of small problems
have popped up during the reassembly. One of the minor issues 
that I'm currently working with is the mating of  the old inside trim 
rings to the new roof hatches. First off the finish on the trim rings
is not up to par and a good strip and refinish is in order.
Beyond a little paint work it's just going to be some minor re-drilling
and Ta-Da, then off to the next area of concern. This part of the 
part of the project has been the most rewarding so far.  It's great to
see progress at this scale and speed. 

But not all parts of this project are nuts and bolts, or pirates. 
One of the little things that I have promised myself that I was going
to do is done. But it goes without saying that anything that I start
to do in a small scale ends up being finished at a large scale.
Let me clarify, When I bought my boat I was given a crappy canvas bag
containing all the manuals and documentation for my boat.  This bag 
has been a constant source of  aggravation for me as finding anything 
in it is much like a treasure hunt. My mission to improve this extremely
flawed system is now complete. I went to Office Max and purchased a
5inch 3 hole ring binder, a 3 hole sheet punch , some glue , card stock and 
1-31  folder tabs. Now my giant ring binder has all my current manuals 
in it, along with every color number and fabric swatch for the project.
Also I attached a piece of card stock punched to go into the binder to
the back of my service log. I keep it right on top so I can now easily
get to it to add service entries. 
A nice leather case to put all this in would be sweet.
Suzanne says this is terminal OCD, she may be correct .


Some interesting things have happened over the past few days in the fact that
my pirate friend has returned again for an encore. Little John blessed us and I do 
mean blessed us with a visit that included  him putting the jewelers rouge and buffer
to my stainless windshield frame and bow rails. This guy is very good and as
I have said in the past one  of the hardest working guys I know. 
 Here's a picture of John working on the rails, let me explain what you are seeing. 
This is in simple terms the equivalate of someone scrubing the kitchen floor with 
a toothbrush. The buffer and wheel that he is using has a footprint of  aprox 
1 inch square or double the size of a toothbrush. It's  the
results that count to John and this is how he gets them. 
In the last few days several  of my boating compadres have came for visits and
just to check in and see the job in person, I concider this good luck in it's purest 
form.  Thanks for stopping by Larry it was really a nice surprise to see you,
see you on the water soon.

Scott is really on a roll and is now half done or better with the main salon,
getting him out of the confined space of the master cabin has made a huge difference 
in how much he gets done.

Thats Scott putting up the largest headliner panel , the next post I will have pictures
of the finished salon.


Next up: The BerryCuda  joins in       

  

1 comment:

  1. Seriously, you have the books for your "Visual Systems" in Portuguese? How Cool! :o)

    ReplyDelete