Monday, April 8, 2013

A Pirate Sails Away

When John and I started the platform project it was always my responsibility to do the paint work.
I remember John saying " I'll make it strong --- You make it pretty " . So with the final welding done 
it's off to the paint shop to make it pretty.
First thing after removing the platform from the boat  for the last time is to fabricate a stand to get it through the paint shop on. My idea is to use PVC tubing on top of a bed dolly, it definitely holds it steady and at just the right height.
              The photo above shows the platform primed , block sanded and ready to be painted .

This photo shows the platform flipped and etch primed, that is the same material that is used by aircraft companies like Boeing to get superior adhesion on aluminum. This is a wet on wet process and so as soon as this has flashed off  the color will follow.
                                 The bottom is done, tomorrow it's flip and spray the top.

Flipped and Sprayed

                         This is the final color coat, I used  all PPG products bottom to top.  

I have been using PPG in my shop for 20+ years and really like the easy use of  their products.
This is a bit of a waiting game now as the top color coats are ESSS Polyurethane and tend to dry slowly.

During the wait time I got a visit from Mike Turk my graphics artist, Mike and I have been friends for many years and cant say enough about Mike's talent, either with a brush or vinyl he will always surprise you,,  pleasantly of course.
Mike's visit to my shop today put the personality back into the Fuelishness. All the factory stripes and Logo,s were reinstalled. Suzanne happened to stop by the shop after Mike was finished and remarked " The Fuelishness is back" .

                                                        I think she's right

With the wait time now complete I'm very excited to be re-installing the platform, I think that this platform really gives the boat a new look. I feel like John and I really hit the mark as we go for the factory look. 
This area has been nick named "Suzanne's Beach Club" ,John and I have had a lot fun with that one.

As I was finalizing the installation John came by and he brought along  some stainless steel rub rail trim pieces that he was just sure as heck would be the perfect touch to finish the platform edge. 
I know that I have said in past posts that John is a hard worker and talented and ll that, but this is really where the term "magician" could be easily used.  What took place that afternoon was truely magic. John took raw stainless steel trim ,cut it to fit the edges and angles, welded , polished and custom bent the most perfect crowning touch that you could ever imagine. The part that really makes it magic is John did all this at my shop with hand tools.
                                   These shots really sum up the factory look we were after. 
                                             The stainless trim finishes the edge prfectly    

                             This is the center ladder door open, ready to deploy the ladder .
                                             This is the ladder out and ready to use.

To say I'm pleased with the finished  package would be down playing the facts. This is the most fun I have had doing a project in I can't tell you how long. We not only hit our target , John gets the Bullseye for the trim work. I think it was when I was taking the picture above is when I realized that this part was done and over ,that I wouldn't be seeing John anymore. So as my pirate friend sailed away I was sad, but I knew down deep in my heart that there's at least one more project left in the Fuelishness for John and I . 


Next up :   Welcome to "Yachtsville"      
     

No comments:

Post a Comment